Civil Staff Attorney, Legal Aid Society of Milwaukee
The Legal Aid Society of Milwaukee is one of the country’s oldest providers of free legal services to the poor. Our mission is “to do all things necessary for the prevention of injustice.” We provide a variety of civil legal services, including in the areas of housing, consumer, public benefits, elder law, HIV/AIDS, bankruptcy and veterans. Our office is located in downtown Milwaukee.
The Civil Staff Attorney represents, generally speaking, those at 125% of the poverty level or below. He/she works intake at our downtown office on a regular basis, and may work at one of our outreach sites. Representation may include brief legal advice, limited representation or full representation, including discovery, hearing and/or trial. You may be a generalist or may be asked to specialize in an area such as housing or consumer. Our civil practice currently includes six staff attorneys, a litigation director, a chief staff attorney and a director of our Low Income Taxpayer Clinic.
- Licensed to practice law in the State of Wisconsin.
- Desire and ability to deal with a client population challenged by poverty and the life-altering results of poverty.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to manage high caseloads.
- Ability to work collaboratively yet independently.
- Prior civil legal experience a plus, although not a requirement.
- Ability to read and write Spanish a plus, although not a requirement.
Salary is based on experience and is comparable to similar organizations in the Milwaukee Area. The Legal Aid Society provides excellent benefits.
Successful completion of a background check is required.
No phone calls, please. We will respond only to applicants selected for interviews.
Applicants should send a cover letter, resume, three professional references and a writing sample to:
Karen Dardy, Chief Staff Attorney, Legal Aid Society of Milwaukee, 728 N. James Lovell St., Milwaukee, WI 53233
THE LEGAL AID SOCIETY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER.