LITC DIRECTOR AND QTE — Downtown Office
The Legal Aid Society of Milwaukee, a non-profit legal service organization that provides legal services to low-income Milwaukeeans, has an opening in its Low Income Taxpayer Clinic (LITC). This individual would serve both as the Qualified Tax Expert (QTE) and the Clinic Director.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Screen potential clients for eligibility in the LITC program;
- Determine level of services to be provided to clients, including but not limited to consultation that does not result in representation and also representation in controversies with the IRS and state or local tax authorities (when the clinic is representing the taxpayer in a related federal tax matter). The representation may take place at any stage, including, but not limited to account adjustments, exam, collection, appeals or litigation.
- Manage the clinic caseload;
- Assure compliance with the requirements of grants; participate in administration of grants, including reports, and prepare applications for further grants;
- Support taxpayer education, including offering presentations and workshops for ESL taxpayers about their taxpayer rights and responsibilities;
- Organize and participate in training of volunteers and pro bono attorneys;
- Develop and maintain relationships with other community-based organizations that assist
low income and ESL individuals.
- Review the clinic’s outreach plan to insure that it effectively publicizes the clinic and its services to low income taxpayers and ESL taxpayers.
- Admission to a state bar association;
- Authorized to practice before the IRS;
- Admitted to practice before the United States Tax Court;
- Prior experience working in the field of tax law and with tax controversies
Ability to read, write and speak Spanish is preferred.
Salary based on experience. The Legal Aid Society of Milwaukee provides excellent benefits.
No phone calls, please. We will respond only to applicants selected for interviews.
Applicants should send a cover letter, resume, three professional references and a writing sample to:
Legal Aid Society of Milwaukee
728 N. James Lovell St., 3rd Floor North
Milwaukee, WI 53233
THE LEGAL AID SOCIETY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER.