Staff Attorney — Guardian ad Litem Division – Children’s Court
The Legal Aid Society of Milwaukee, a non-profit legal service organization that provides legal services to low-income Milwaukeeans, has an opening in its Children’s Court Guardian ad Litem Division for a staff attorney. The emphasis of the position is to advocate and protect the rights of vulnerable children in child abuse and neglect, guardianship and termination of parental rights hearings.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Interviewing, investigating facts, conducting legal research, and providing legal representation at all phases of litigation including motions, trials and appeals;
- Working in partnership with staff assessment professionals;
- Working collaboratively with stakeholders in the child welfare system;
- Understanding the vast problems of alcohol and drugs, family violence, unemployment and educational deficits and the impact on families;
- Understanding of community services available;
- Maintaining records in office case management system.
- Admission to the Wisconsin Bar;
- Compliance with Chapter 35 of the Wisconsin Supreme Court Rules;
- Demonstrated interest in public interest law, particularly involving children;
- Strong organizational skills and ability to manage high caseloads;
- Ability to work collaboratively yet independently; and
- Interest in working with families in the child welfare system.
Salary is based on experience and is comparable to similar organizations in the Milwaukee Area. The Legal Aid Society provides excellent benefits.
Successful completion of a background check is required.
No phone calls, please. We will respond only to applicants selected for interviews.
Applicants should send a cover letter, resume, and three professional references, and a writing sample to:
Legal Aid Society of Milwaukee
Guardian ad Litem Division
10201 W. Watertown Plank Road
Milwaukee, WI 53226
THE LEGAL AID SOCIETY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER.